After setup, pihole isn't blocking a thing

This is crazy but I totally have my macs dns server at 192.168.0.10. Just to be sure i added it again. I'm getting the same result.

I am running Nord. Let me turn that off.

That was it. It's nord.

As you found, your VPN provider is redirecting your DNS traffic through their servers (typically a default to prevent DNS leaks). To get Pi-Hole to work, turn off the VPN or contact your provider to see if you can override their DNS setting.

Thanks a ton, jfb. I really appreciate you helping me through that.

1 Like

Quick question..why don't you run you own VPN?you would benefit from pihole anywhere you go plus your traffic is encrypted and as a bonus you can install unbound and you have your own DNS and encrypted Network

Is that supposed to be blocked for wahtever reason as I'm only using the default OOTB lists and it isn't

C:\Users\mike>nslookup pablosantiago.blogspot.com.co
Server:  Heimdall
Address:  192.168.1.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    blogspot.l.googleusercontent.com
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:819::2001
Aliases:  pablosantiago.blogspot.com.co

And yes, PiHole is doing lots of blocking ;o)

The domain was taken from the OP's debug log. In this section of the debug log, Pi-Hole randomly selects a domain from gravity and then uses that to test blocking. I chose this domain to test since it was known to be in the gravity list on that Pi-Hole. If you have different lists, then you may not have this domain in your gravity list.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] pablosantiago.blogspot.com.co is 0.0.0.0 via localhost (127.0.0.1)
[✓] pablosantiago.blogspot.com.co is 0.0.0.0 via Pi-hole (192.168.0.10)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 172.217.0.14 via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

Fairy Snuff :slight_smile:

As I said , I'm just using the OOTB default lists, presumably the OP isn't

The OP is using a VPN service to tunnel all traffic to/from his network, with the traffic originating from within his LAN. This is different that running a VPN service on your Pi for the purposes of tunneling back to your Pi while you are off your local network.

The OP had a few additional lists in use.