After moving router DNS assignment to pi-hole, will randomly cause crashes in internet

The issue I am facing:
After moving router dhcp settings to use pi-hole, sometimes it will randomly shut off the internet. Running in a docker container (among other containers), all containers responsive. Pi-hole still responds, and doesn't shut down.
Details about my system:
Raspberry pi 4, aarch64 I've seen some postings talking about power issues. This is not a power issue.
What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
Started immediately after installed. It takes a reboot of the router to begin working again, but will randomly shut off the internet.
There are no logs in /var/logs. Only logs are manually generated in web gui with no noticable issues.

Copying Yubiusers post here, only mods and up will be able to see your debug log and it expires after 48hrs. P.S Make sure that your Pi-hole and system is up to date :wink:

They won’t know more till you post it. I have a small suspicion it might be you advertising multiple DNS servers (seems most probable for intermittent internet access but that is not guaranteed)
—-

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Like I said, debug logs show nothing. The router's logs only tell me that wlan is off. Not very useful. But for any devs https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/xw1aLpjS/ I could try running it as DCHP instead, but the docs are confusing. I thought I managed to set up everything properly, but when I rebooted everything and thought, "how is the pi going to get an ip set with the router, if the routers dhcp is disabled?" and assigning static ips right now is not something I want to do

When you set Pi-hole to be the only DHCP server on your network the host needs a static IP address.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Problems with Pi-hole DHCP

Pi-hole, at least, requires a static IP. When Pi-hole is the DHCP server, how are you setting the IP of the Pi hole host?

It is set to a static ip with the same issues. Attempting to use it in DHCP with a static ip causes the same issues. Reading over, the title may not seem clear. What I meant by "moving dhcp dns to pi hole" was that on my router, setting the routers dns to point to pihole will eventually cause the internet to crash. At the time, the router set pi's dhcp with a reserved ip. That caused the internet to crash. Setting pi to a static ip, eventually caused the internet to eventually crash. Setting pi's ip to static and configuring it to be the dhcp server, caused the internet to eventually crash.

Debug token please.

Posted it up above
I frequently find this error
Or another similar "DNSMASQ_WARN" type. Coincidentally I found this error about the same time my internet crashed. However, this time pi hole was in a "disabled indefinitely" state, but still taking requests. Could have been left over from a previous dhcp lease, but regardless disabled indefinitely shouldn't return requests.

Different issue. Disregard.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.