Ads blocked on some browsers but others show the ads

Hello,

I have a question. I noticed that ads on WetterOnline.de (a german weather site) are being blocked on an iOS device but the same ads are being shown on a Windows PC. Does anyone know why this might be?

Update 02.09 21:34 - Okay so it's not the Windows PC, specifically, it's Chrome. When I open Edge, the ads on the top and right are blocked but not in Chrome. I also cleared my Chrome's cache and internal DNS cache and the ads keep showing, unlike the other browser.

Thank you for your replies in advance!

Hello,

do you have an installed ad blocker extension in Edge, while Chrome is running without an ad blocker?

On the Windows client, also check if only one DNS server is configured with the ipconfig command:

Thank you for both your answers.

@mibere - In Edge, nope, no extension. I only have one extension and it's not related to ad blocking or filtering of any kind. I do have an ad blocker in Chrome, even with it and combined with pi hole it still shows the ad on this website on the PC. I also tried to disable the plug-in; no difference.

@deHakkelaar- I checked and the Windows 10 PC is only pointing to a single DNS and of the pi and both on IPv4 and IPv6

Okay this issue with WetterOnline, as an example, is very strange. Now, when I open the site on my iOS device with Safari I get the ads, in Chrome on the iOS I do not. On the Windows 10 PC I not seeing the ads with Edge but I do see them with Chrome.

What do you guys experience when visiting this site?

On Windows with Firefox:

On Chrome:

Make sure to flush DNS cache on the Windows box:

ipconfig /flushdns

And clear browser cache!

I have been using ipconfig /flushdns while testing

Thanks for posting your screenshots. Both IE and Edge show no ads, here it seems as if pi-hole works but I am trying to get the same result with Chrome, which is my default browser. Maybe it's Chrome's Async DNS resolver but then again I can't seem to disable it.

Chrome (showing ads)

Internet Explorer (same result in Edge)

And another test on iOS, Safari shows the ads and haha Chrome on iOS does not, what a mix up. I understand that generally some ads pass through but in general I am trying to get it to work by using this site as an example.

Dont use a web page to get it to work.
Too many pitfalls like cache thats everywhere, sites that host ads from the same domain or via DoH.
Use nslookup on a client instead eg.:

nslookup pi.hole <PIHOLE_IPv4_ADDRESS>

nslookup pi.hole <PIHOLE_IPv6_ADDRESS>

And if the client is configured properly, you can leave out the IP address at the end eg.:

nslookup pi.hole

Only Pi-hole can resolve this pi.hole domain and nslookup doesnt cache.

This worked ^ - I guess these ads will just come through.

Below FAQ might be useful:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.