Add NTP server, cache + intercept

Thats nice thing about Pi-hole, it shows some of the crappy implementations.
Not so good for the dashboard though :wink:

That’s odd. I have two Dots, an Echo and 8 Amazon Smart Plugs and none of those devices have ever queried “time.windows.com”. I mean like, ever! The only time I occasionally see that domain is when I power up my Windows 10 Gaming PC. Are you sure those queries are being generated by the Amazon devices?

Yeah. They are OneLink Safe and Sound alexa-enabled smoke detectors.
The traffic is very strange. They're hitting www.microsoft.com, www.yahoo.com, www.amazon.com, time.windows.com.... every 40 seconds.

1 Like

Thanks for this, it works!
However, I also noticed that I can do this in the PiHole UI directly under "Local DNS Records"

So now, I think, that my feature request would be "Allow Local DNS Records to apply to groups, rather than globally."

Would you mind to file a new feature request then please?

What is the objection to all your clients using a local time server? That's going to be quicker and less internet traffic.

Will do, thanks!

I can envision a scenario where I don't want to prevent my well-mannered clients from hitting their NTP server of choice.

Ahhhhhhh ok, they’re Alexa enabled devices but aren’t devices made by Amazon. That explains those weird queries.

Problem is that they’re Alexa ENABLED devices, but I’m almost 100% positive Amazon doesn’t directly manufacture those products. They’re just Alexa enabled. I have 11 Amazon/Alexa devices and I haven’t even seen 1 query for any kind of NTP server from them.

1 Like

Thanks for opening the new FR. I'm going to close this now.