Add easylist.to to pihole

ive been using the default blocklist, but finding ads are getting threw.

i also use ublock origin and enabled the easylist and it blocked all unwanted ads. How can i script pihole to also filter and block using easylist?

looks to be similar to adblockplus

https://easylist.to/easylist/easylist.txt

This is not in HOSTS format and most would not import into Pi -Hole.

You can get a (reduced) easylist in host format here:

https://v.firebog.net/hosts/Easylist.txt

It is reduced to the pure domains to work with Pi-Hole. If you are using Ublock, use it. It is a good working combination.

2 Likes

it works for the most part, but a few ads still slip in. I loaded this list in ublock and disabled the main easy list, it indeed is better but not as good as the full easylist.

I noted 18000 entries in firebog vs 86000 in the full easylist.

i suspected as much, but no script to clean it up to be in HOST format?

There is some parsing in the gravity script when blocklists are fetched from the internet, but the list you reference was built for a different purpose and use by an ad-blocker using different technology. As a previous commenter noted, running uBlock on your browsers in addition to a Pi-Hole on the network typically catches pretty much all the advertisements.

For reference, here is the parsing code in the gravity shell.

Yes combination of pihole and ublock on Windows has worked well for Chrome or Firefox. However the main reason I setup pihole was to block ads on smart devices such as phones or Smart TVs that do not allow third party addons like ublock. This is why I mainly wanted to figure out a way to parse the easylist that is used by ublock. Most ads are blocked, what i tend to see is random redirects opening a new tab on my phone saying i'm a millionaire or where can i buy used cars.

This list seems to be very similar to the one used by adblock plus.

You may have better success blacklisting these domains locally than parsing the uBlock list. Your query log will help determine where the ads are coming from.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.