Add disk usage (+uptime?) to Settings page

FTL MaxDbDays defaults to 365 days. Requirements say "~52MB of free space" - "My 2GB SD card will be plenty big on my rPi!" - well, no, actually it won't because after installing raspian and pi-hole you might have a few 100 MB left and after a period of time that will be consumed by the FTL database. Then you find out that you cannot do updates due to low disk space, even after limiting FTL to 30 days.
Suggest a panel be added to the Settings page (below network interface?) showing disk usage of the root file system (and the file system FTL database is on if different).
If this gets traction, might as well consider putting uptime there too.
Thanks

PS - when an update becomes available, is it possible to display the disk space needed here? So you can know beforehand if you have enough space to run it.

My 2GB SD system (Raspian buster, MaxDBDays=30) for reference:

Filesystem     1M-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root          1593M 1340M      157M  90% /

Pihole is not the right tool for monitoring system stats.
Use something like GitHub - XavierBerger/RPi-Monitor: Real time monitoring for embedded devices
Instead.

Why? Can you even buy 2GB SD cards anymore? Problem is easily fixed but splurging for 8GB (though you can probably get 16/32 for the same cost.)

As to available space, too many variables. Some use / some use other partitions, some use SHM/RAM.

Pi-hole will install on a small amount of space, you'll just be extremely limited in to what you can log with it. It will answer DNS queries just fine though.

Hey, I'm just sharing what my experience was and making a suggestion. I was looking at 1,2,8,&16 GB SD cards and figured hey, no need to waste an 8/16 GB when I don't need the space. Surprise! You do need the space! Maybe updating the prerequisites to provide some advice on disk space needs would be a better idea.
Thanks.

Already on the way

Larger is always better. More available space means better wear leveling on the card. More available space for writes = fewer writes per location = longer card life.

A 32 GB SanDisk Ultra is $8.79 US at Amazon, less than a dollar more expensive then a 16 GB.

1 Like