Ad blocking not working only on Windows 10 machine

Thanks and which browser and version number are you using on your PC?

Using chrome:

Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Same problem occurs in firefox or microsoft edge unfortunately…

Hmmmm then you have to look in the hosts file if that contains information outside sites. It is located in:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and the file is named hosts

There is nothing in the hosts file. This is what’s inside (everything is commented out). Do I need to add something?

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     [rhino.acme.com](http://rhino.acme.com/)          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     [x.acme.com](http://x.acme.com/)              # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1       localhost
# ::1             localhost

This the default hosts files and OK that way.

There is no simple explanation why your PC is behaving this way.

Ok, well any suggestions of things to try? It seems like the pihole is getting the pc and trying to block the ads, but on the browser the ads are still occuring. It’s almost like the PC is one step ahead of the pihole… It lets everything through where the mac and linux machines block all of the junk. I even tried turning off the Avast firewall and windows firewall and no effect…

You don’t have to seek it in the firewall, please switch them on again if you did not that already, but look in Avast for DNS services. This could be the common point where I would expect this.

Do you also use Avast on your MAC?

Look also at this if that is accidental active: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/SecureLine-VPN-Change-DNS

Ok, PROBLEM SOLVED! Looked up Avast DNS, there is a feature in the program called “safe site” which guards against malicious / fake web sites and presents problems with Open DNS among other things upon looking it up on google. I turned off this protection layer, cleared chrome cache, and ipconfig /flushdns, everything works now. Looks just like how the mac does.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

And, no, was not using Avast on the macs.

I am pleased that it is now resolved and when you mentioned all three browsers acted strange, I knew there was central problem.
You mention Avast so that made me search further because I knew that Avast is rather greedy without telling the user.

Have much pleasure/advantage with using Pi-hole and taking back control.

Thanks so much for your help. Really happy about fixing this.

Hi there,
I am also having this issue with my SurfacePro running Windows 10. I only see the Amazon Ad on the test blocking site but see other ads on other sites. I have disabled ‘Real Site’ in Avast. Should I specify certain DNS servers in my Windows Network Adapter settings or not?
Thanks so much for any help you can give. This has been super frustrating.

As restart would take care of getting the right DNS server. If you go to your networksettings then the Pi-hole IP should be mentioned as the DNS you are using.

I see the IP address of my Pi-hole but my default gateway is also listed.

You only have look for the two lines with DNS in it.

Thanks so much for your help and Happy New Year! I rebooted the Surface and now the ad is gone!!!

Happy new year to you to! Pleased that I could help you.

1 Like

So I just wanted to give you an update. It turns out that my problem wasn’t (or wasn’t only) Avast and their
‘real site’ component. I also run PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN and it uses a DNS address to mask what I am doing to my ISP etc. So I decided that when I bring up that VPN I will do so with its ad blocking capability enabled (MACE). That did the trick. So I guess pi-hole is not ‘sucking up’ the ads for my PC but the PIA ad blocker is. As long as I don’t have to put up with them, I am good.

Thanks again for your help.

Arsastoria

1 Like

If you ever want to switch MACE with Pi-hole then you need to use the PIA DNS in Pi-hole.

We use our own private DNS servers for your DNS queries while on the VPN. After connecting we set your operating system’s DNS servers to 209.222.18.222 and 209.222.18.218. When using a DNS Leak testing site you should expect to see your DNS requests originate from the IP of the VPN gateway you are connected to.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.