A Few issues with the beta on a fresh install

Yes, only gravity.db and the folder itself needs to be group writable. For the rest, group readability suffices.

Yeah, this is somewhat expected. However, they should be set to 0664, in your screenshot above they were 0644. To what do they get reset?

Please also try the following experiment:

ls -lh /etc/pihole/gravity.db
sudo chmod 0644 /etc/pihole/gravity.db
sudo chmod g+w /etc/pihole/gravity.db
sudo chmod 0664 /etc/pihole/gravity.db

What is the exact output of this chain of commands?

1 Like

reset to deffault permissions and root instead of pihole.

its like my lists are not working foe some odd reason any ways i bout a pi 4 and got it today ill test to see if the same issue occurs.

But also im getting issues with block lists not working which to me i believe relates to the gravity error,
i don't think is a parsing issue i believe its a permissions issue.

Ive also notice some sort of pausing while it retrieves block lists as if it gets stuck then moves forward.

also i notice on raspbian the installer works flawlessly to install 4.0 but on armbian it stops when installing the dependency for php, i think there is an installer incompatibility issue with armbian going on.

We'll need to check this. I don't think we have special rules against importing localhost, it is likely that at least parts of your issue are related to this. Also, because reducing the number of lists is a solution for you (so I assume it works without the lists containing localhost?).

We officially support Debian (+ Raspbian), Fedora, and CentOS.
As a project done by a few in volunteer work, we have not only limited time, but also limited financial possibilities to go out shopping for hardware. We simply cannot afford getting compatibility with all devices that are out there, however, as you see here, we're always trying our best to help users. Even though your issue is still not fully, the major issue seems to be the extreme number of lists containing something invalid (see below).

Please try

This may fix your (or at lease parts of your) issue. This other discussion also contains an instruction how to obtain the domains that are causing the issues like

so we can see what one of these unescaped " characters is about.

1 Like

i fully understand and i appreciate the hard work that you and the team put in, ill get my spare sd and throw pi hole back on to it, the rock 64 want exactly, a choice i wanted to make at the time but considering my pi3 was having issues i made the leap since it was the only board with its capability that i could afford at the time.

ill load up the new update on it and check hopefully it should nail it.

same with the pi 4 read only and gravity, fresh install,
i just installed your fix.

here is the the output, also i rebooted actually power cycled, still getting read only on the data base this is on a fresh install

the issue is that my block lists aren't working for some reason, when i queried them that's the result i got nothing

as requested

all good im running gravity again

soon as gravity finishes ill run the command again with the file name

i got it

problem is finding which on it is

hangs on this list here
not sure if this is a legit domain
08.185.87.41.liveadvert.com
https://codeberg.org/spootle/blocklist/raw/branch/master/blocklist.txt

You are creating your own problem here. If you try to import lists that aren't properly formatted for Pi-Hole, they won't import properly and can cause the problems you are seeing here.

You will have to look at the contents of each of the lists to which you subscribe and eliminate those lists that have invalid entries. Or, start with the original lists only and then add lists one at a time until you have an import failure, then eliminate that list.

I have been I've been triple checking, I can't seem to find the incorrectly formatted list yet, I've been deleting lists that are dead, and I removed some of an old lists that I made myself, I'll keep checking but so far I haven't found which list it is, I'll see if it's lists that have comments in them that's throwing up the error, so far I'm still having the locked database error when GUI importing so the permissions are still broken even on the pi 4.

I'll disable all lists that are not stock and gravity till I get the error to occur again.

The list that is causing the problem is in a format that is using CSS, something like an adblock list or similar.

googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1579280679906-0');,125 is nothing we could ever use.

Yes, that's a legit domain and not a problem to use.

That's not going to work.

Edit:

No mediafire.com list will work, there's no way to directly download them. All links go to their login page and that is what is being parsed.

Try curl -sSL http://www.mediafire.com/file/lc6746hl121wgd2/pac_list-1.txt and see what is actually being seen by Pi-hole.

1 Like