50 clients in my network? How is it possible?

I just looked at the administration panel and saw that I have 50 clients connected to my network.

In my house we only have 4-5 clients,
2 mobile
1 tablet
1-2 Pc

It is possible that you have port 53 open on your router and external clients have found your Pi-Hole. These commands will help you determine what is connected to your network and what DNS addresses are being requested:

echo ">top-clients withzero (50)" | nc 127.0.0.1 4711

echo ">top-domains (20)" | nc 127.0.0.1 4711

echo ">top-ads (20)" | nc 127.0.0.1 4711

You can scan the ports on your LAN using the tools here - run the scan for "all service ports"

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

2 Likes

Yes, it had port 53 open.

I did it because this was indicated by a tutorial of Pi-Hole.

I have already closed it. Will those customers be disconnected little by little?

I'd be interested to know which tutorial contained this advice. Do you have a link?

Pi-Hole is designed to be installed on a local device within your network. To allow local clients to communicate with the local Pi-Hole (all within your LAN, and hidden from the WAN), a few ports need to be open on the Pi. No ports to the Pi should be open to the internet, they should only be visible to LAN clients.

The customers are disconnected as soon as you closed the open port. They can no longer communicate with your Pi-Hole. The activity will continue to show on your dashboard for 24 hours after the last activity, since the dashboard shows the most recent 24 hours of activity. Each hour, the oldest hour rolls of the left of the dashboard.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.