200+ local DNS queries an hour

I am running pi-hole in a debain 9 vm on a Windows 10 LTSB Hyper-V host (192.168.50.3). I am getting a lot of dns request to local domain stuff.

The 1st listing desktop-vrgbiu4.localdomain is being queried every 1-5 seconds on IPV4. The queries are coming from the Win10LTSB Hyper-V host (192.168.50.3) I am running Milestone XProtect Camera DVR software on the same host and its mobile server is named desktop-vrgbiu4. This the biggest spammer by far & I would love to be able to cut it down. I am running the same Milestone XProtect Camera software in a Proxmox VM in a different environment & I don’t see this kind of traffic. I believe it could be due to running it on the Hyper-V host with the pi-hole being in a Hyper-V vm on the host.

The 2nd listing pfsense.localdomain is being queried anywhere from 5 seconds to 25 seconds on IPV4. The queries are coming from the Win10LTSB Hyper-V host (192.168.50.3). pFSense is my router/firewall which is handing out the IP to my pi-hole for DNS.

The 3rd listing localhost is being queried every minute from IPV4. The queries are coming from the Win10LTSB Hyper-V host (192.168.50.3) & My Windows 10 Pro Laptop.

The 4th listing pi-hole.localdomain is being queried anywhere from 1 seconds to 10 minutes on IPV4 & IPV6 at the same exact time. The queries are coming from the pi-hole.

The 5th listing pi-hole is being queried anywhere from 1 seconds to 10 minutes on IPV4 & IPV6 at the same exact time. The queries are coming from the pi-hole

As you can see from my charts below, I am averaging 200 DNS queries an hour at any given time & would love to eliminate the noise. Any advice… Thanks!

upvote in this topic:

Meanwhile, you can exclude those hosts from appearing in the top domains by entering them in the Settings/API/ Webinterface

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.